Monday, November 30, 2009

***Note, I am not actually thinking about dying for anyone. One of my friends is going through some rough stuff, and I have been thinking about it a lot. This just sort of started writing itself.


It would be easy to die for you
A note of lyrical prose to dedicate the act,
The act itself,
Quickly done,
Then nothing more.

Yes, that is a sacrifice I could easily make for you.

But what good would that do?
Does it take more courage to die for someone,
Or to live for them?
To live for you...
To stay awake with you until 2:30 in the morning,
Holding your broken heart gently in my hands
Stroking it softly with my fingers
And bringing it close to my still-beating heart,
That your broken, shattered organ may learn to beat again.
To live for you would not be a simply deed quickly accomplished.
It would take time, and strength.

But I would do it.
Would create a fragile, tender cage around you with my arms,
And hold your hurt close to me
Not that I might make you feel less, for how could I?
But that you would know I carry your burden too.
You would not be alone.

And when you healed and your heart was whole again,
I would stay by you,
Basking in your contentedness,
Your happiness,
Your life.

No, staying alive for you would not be as easy as
Dying in your name,
But I would make the journey
For you
That you may someday live
For me.

No comments: