Thursday, March 20, 2008

"What does it take, to wake up a generation?"

I just watched Across the Universe. Wow. Awesome movie. But it made me think. How come there was so much radical movement in the '60s to end war and help people? Why was changing the world for the better so much more advertised then? So few people today care about anything more than themselves. People are egocentric and much have everything! Stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff! Always more stuff! Who are you as a person? Who cares? I have STUFF.

But even if some people do care, what can be done? I want to stand up soemwhere and scream so that everyone can hear me, "I CARE!!!!!" But what can I do about it? How can one person, or even a few people, change the mindset of a nation? A world, even? How can we make people think aobut something other than themselves? My high school has made me so cynical. When we did Speak Truth to Power, I was so excited. I'm changing the world. That's what I thought. But then, only the people who were already aware, who already cared, came and listened. You tell people at Jefferson that there are children starving to death all over the world. They laugh. Tell them next that there is genocide is Darfur. You get laughter and maybe a "Where the fuck is Darfur and what the fuck is genocide?" South America is aobut to break out in war as we speak. No one knows. And if they do, they don't knwo what they can do about it. I'm afraid to try to change anything. What if my effort came to nothing? What if I couldn't make people think? What if no one really cares that the world is going to hell all around us?

People focus so muhc attention on the actions of popstars and movie actors. Well, if those people set examples worth following, we;d be set. Why can't everyone be like Angelina Jolie(if I even spelled that right?)?? She adopts kids and tries to do posotive things for the world. That's a star to look at. How can we encourage others to be similar?

I'm so frustrated. I don't want to be seen as uncaring. Hell, I'm up at midnight furiously typing about the state of the world. I DO CARE!!! So much. I don't want to be responsible for the demise of our society. We have to open up and try to help. I just odn't know how!!! It's such a big world and there are so many problems. Even finding a place to start in daunting. I want to start at the source. But how do you make people look away from the mirror and into the BIG PICTURE?

Any ideas? I don't want to sit idle anymore. Let's start a riot. Let's get noticed. Let's make a change.

Now....how?

1 comment:

. said...

I.
Will.
Riot.
=]

It's about time.

I personally think that the reason we don't do things like we did in the '60s is because a lot of that had to do with opening up one's sexuality, and wearing whatever you wanted despite what was orthodox, and going against religion and stuff. We do that kind of thing every day now.

Haha but you know, I'd go for another '60s any day. :]
I know the words to all of those old songs! x] Even the ones I don't like.

So yeah, beautiful, let's start a revolution!

Haha fighting for peace!
XD